Braid, Fluoro, or Mono

PDiddy45

I haven't fished much at Lake Powell. I am taking a trip in a couple of weeks and looking to set up a new rod/reel. I am looking at a Pflueger President size 30 spinning reel combo at Scheels with either a 7' Medium light rod/moderate fast Fenwick Eagle Rod or a 7' Medium/Fast Fenwick Eagle Rod. What weight Rod is best for a Lake Powell set up? My Budget is around $80-$120 for a new set up and Scheels has it on sale for $99.

I have always fished mono line but have wanted to try braided. Would you recommend braided line with a fluoro leader? If so, what color and pound test of braided line and what test of flouro? how long should my leader be?
We are going to target Stripers and small/large mouth.
Thanks!

I can't help you on the rod and reel but I will say this about braid.
DO IT!
When I started fishing Lake Powell, my brother out fished me every day and by a wide margin. I couldn't figure it out. We used the same tackle, in the same boat, same rod and reel, same line, hooks, bait, everything was exactly the same. He out fished me every day. I spent weeks trying to figure out what was different. I finally noticed he had 8 lb. mono line while I had 10. I refused to believe that was why he caught so many more fish.
So I decided to research lines and such.
I won't bore you with all the research but I'll say this. I changed from a monofilament to a 20lb braid with a 6 ft. fluorocarbon leader and my catch rate instantly doubled. It was immediate. My brother asked me (not so nicely) what the ____ has changed. Just changed lines is all, I told him. I out fished him that day by a lot and he was not happy. He has not fished on my boat since and probably never will again.
Childish I know but that's my bro.
Braid is superior to mono in every way but invisibility. No stretch, no memory, it's much thinner than mono, it lasts many times as long as mono, it's easy to see on choppy water, it casts a country mile and it isn't that much more than a decent monofilament. Add a 100% fluorocarbon leader, and you'll be all set. Don't cheap out and get a fluorocarbon coated line, get the real stuff and you won't be disappointed.
I started with a bright orange and a vivid green braid but eventually went with a braid that was multi colored. It changed color every 10 feet so if I was fishing vertically, I could drop my bait to the exact depth I saw the school at. Perfection.
I'm not a great fisherman. I'm no KYKevin. Ha. Just a guy having some fun. I use a somewhat inexpensive braid but I use a very nice Seagar fluorocarbon. 20 lb. braid with a 12 lb. Seagar fluorocarbon. I've used that combination now for 3 years and it's made a huge difference in my catch rate.
You'll notice a few things right away using braid. First thing you'll notice is how far it casts. Since it has no memory, it goes thru the eyes much easier. It takes some getting used to at first.
2nd is the hookset. Since there is no stretch, when you set the hook, you might actually have to lighten up how hard you set the hook. I was ripping some lips at first.
Over a little time you'll notice how much more sensitive your rod is. You won't believe how many bites you were missing with mono because of the stretch and the memory of mono. You'll also have fewer unhooked fish.
I did nothing but change to a braid with flouro leader and my catch rate more than doubled overnight.

Last edited:
Well I totally disagree on braid and fluro for Powell. I am a clear mono fan on Powell period and I do pretty ok... I really would prefer fluro as it is the least visible but I find it to be way too brittle when fishing the rock ledges especially when trolling stripers which I do much of. I also prefer the stretch of mono when trolling. Powell waters can be very clear so visibility means more to me. Now fishing my local lakes in Colorado is totally different for me as I absolutely prefer braid/fluro combo when targeting SMB/Pike/Walleye so that's my take. I am a total 8jb Stren clear mono guy on Powell.

Everything @Maverick5207 just said! Braid to a Fluoro leader is so versatile you may never set your gear up any other way.

There are couple other benefits and reminders about this combo as well.

Braided last forever and as mentioned above it has no memory, so you will be replacing it much less often. I have some braided line on one of my reels that I’ve had on there for 10+ years (although I could probably benefit from replacing, it still seems to be going strong).
The other benefit of using 20lb braid to a 6, 8, 10, 12…whatever lb. fluoro is that you are much more versatile with your lure weights and sizes (assuming you are on a versatile rod paired with that reel).

Also, if you want to go after more toothy fish and not use a steel leader, just cutoff your fluoro leader and go straight to braid. It will hold up better once hooked up.

One thing I would say to remember when tying your fluoro leader to your braid (I use a double uni knot or a blood knot) is that braided line is pretty slippery, its diameter for the same lb test is much smaller (so you have a lot more running line for bigger fish). Given its smaller diameter, you may notice that your 8lb fluoro is larger in diameter than the braid (not an issue for reel capacity) but can become an issue with knot construction. So just be sure (if using a double uni that you have more twists on the braid side then you do on the fluoro side. I usually use 3-4 on the fluoro cinch knot side and up to 6-8 on the fluoro side. This way the opposing knots are more equal in size.
I do this as I’ve actually had the braid knot, which is smaller with the same amount of twists, pull through the fluoro side.

My hard core slip bobber Walleye friends out of Minnesota think I’m crazy with my braid/fluoro leader setup. They are straight mono or fluoro guys. And I think for that particular application (slip bobber fishing) fluoro or mono is superior. Primarily because the bobber slides better IMO on mono/fluoro than braid making it is easier to set proper depths and using less split shot above your hook and bait, also, the bobber can’t slide past the double uni knot. So you are limited with depth, unless you use a very long fluoro leader 20ft or so and put the bobber and stop below the braid.

Other than that, IMO it’s a superior setup.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Last edited:
My spinning rods have 4-8lb equivalent diameter sized braid (so typically about 20lb braid), I like Power Pro. In most situations at Powell and anywhere else in Utah I use a 6-8' mono leader in whatever size is needed. Powell I usually go no lighter than 8lb leader, good old Stren clear, or Berkley Trilene low viz green mono work great with a blood knot. Only if I am going mid-lake or where its a lot clearer water would I think of using flouro. Fishing, and fishing Powell one can really overthink, keep it simple. Use that new combo and set up with a simple Gamakatsu 3/16oz round jig head and some zoom fat albert grubs and you can catch any fish in the lake, any time of the year! Or/also grab a pack of Wallaye assasins. You really wouldn't need to use anything different other than for preference.

If using a flouro leader use the double uni knot instead of blood.

I agree with the positive braid comments. I use 20# power pro and really like it...for the reasons stated earlier. I tie it directly to a swivel for boil and surface fishing but use 8-10# fluorocarbon leader for casting subsurface lures or bait fishing. If its good enough for Wayne it's good enuf for me. :) Chuck

I would say the Fenwick med. action as it will handle the aggressive striper better. I'm also a big fan of braid to fluorocarbon leaders. Every one of my spinning set-ups are 10 to 30lb braid to a 6 to 17lb leader. If I had only one set-up it would be a 7ft med. action rod 2000 or 3000 series reel with 20lb braid and 12lb leader. That will catch anything that swims in Powell so long as your drag is set appropriately. Good luck on your trip and let us know how you do. The next couple weeks should really wake up the bass.

heavy rod to fight the wind --- 20lb power pro braid in crystal ( white) so you can see it on top of water as you let bait sink, 10 feet of Floro leader 10lb ----- good knots.
set up a casting rod for jig heads and or jerk baits, and another rod for drop shot --- or 2 or 3 rods of each----

Have fun

You guys are all amazing! This is my first time posting on the forums and I can't say thank you enough. I am excited to get this set up and get down there. davew mentioned crystal white for the color. Does the color of the braid matter much? I like the idea of braid that has different colors every 10 feet so you know how deep you are. Who makes that?
Is it hard to wind the braid on your spool? I read a couple places that you have to be careful with twist. Thanks again for helping a novice!

DO IT!
When I started fishing Lake Powell, my brother out fished me every day and by a wide margin. I couldn't figure it out. We used the same tackle, in the same boat, same rod and reel, same line, hooks, bait, everything was exactly the same. He out fished me every day. I spent weeks trying to figure out what was different. I finally noticed he had 8 lb. mono line while I had 10. I refused to believe that was why he caught so many more fish.
I won't bore you with all the research but I'll say this. I changed from a monofilament to a 20lb braid with a 6 ft. fluorocarbon leader and my catch rate instantly doubled. It was immediate. My brother asked me (not so nicely) what the ____ has changed. Just changed lines is all, I told him. I out fished him that day by a lot and he was not happy. He has not fished on my boat since and probably never will again.
Braid is superior to mono in every way but invisibility. No stretch, no memory, it's much thinner than mono, it lasts many times as long as mono, it's easy to see on choppy water, it casts a country mile and it isn't that much more than a decent monofilament. Add a 100% fluorocarbon leader, and you'll be all set. Don't cheap out and get a fluorocarbon coated line, get the real stuff and you won't be disappointed.
I started with a bright orange and a vivid green braid but eventually went with a braid that was multi colored. It changed color every 10 feet so if I was fishing vertically, I could drop my bait to the exact depth I saw the school at. Perfection.
I'm not a great fisherman. I'm no KYKevin. Ha. Just a guy having some fun. I use a somewhat inexpensive braid but I use a very nice Seagar fluorocarbon. 20 lb. braid with a 12 lb. Seagar fluorocarbon. I've used that combination now for 3 years and it's made a huge difference in my catch rate.
You'll notice a few things right away using braid. First thing you'll notice is how far it casts. Since it has no memory, it goes thru the eyes much easier. It takes some getting used to at first.
2nd is the hookset. Since there is no stretch, when you set the hook, you might actually have to lighten up how hard you set the hook. I was ripping some lips at first.
Over a little time you'll notice how much more sensitive your rod is. You won't believe how many bites you were missing with mono because of the stretch and the memory of mono. You'll also have fewer unhooked fish.
I did nothing but change to a braid with flouro leader and my catch rate more than doubled overnight.
Awesome to stick it to your brother! I can relate!

DO IT!
Is this the line you liked: https://www.amazon.com/Power-Yard-D...ext&ref_=fplfs&smid=A200RT2GD87MLR&th=1&psc=1

You guys are all amazing! This is my first time posting on the forums and I can't say thank you enough. I am excited to get this set up and get down there. davew mentioned crystal white for the color. Does the color of the braid matter much? I like the idea of braid that has different colors every 10 feet so you know how deep you are. Who makes that?
Is it hard to wind the braid on your spool? I read a couple places that you have to be careful with twist. Thanks again for helping a novice!
White is high visibility for the fisherman while the fluorocarbon leader makes it invisible to the fish. One of the advantages to braid is that line twist is has a minimum effect, a lot less loops and birdnests to deal with.
20210316_113608.png
This is colored every 25ft with a hashmark every 5ft, it's what I rig for trolling for stripers (20lb braid &17lb leader).
20240329_142433.jpg
This is what I rig my crappie setup with (10lb braid & 6lb leader).
I'm also a fan of seaguar fluorocarbon.
20240329_142954.jpg
I am sure there's other brands out there that are good as well but I am impressed with these setups.
I find that the multi color braid makes it real easy to troll and repeat the same length of line repetitively.

The number ONE thing to do with braid on your spinning reel and to avoid nests is to close your bail by hand after casting. DO NOT engage it with the handle.

The second most important thing is to not reel in completely loose line. Always try and keep the line decently if not fully taut. If you encounter a time where there is a bunch of loose line that need to be reeled in hold the line taut with one hand right as it’s going into the reel before you reach the point where you have eliminated most of the loose line.

Those two things will eliminate most issues.

The number ONE thing to do with braid on your spinning reel and to avoid nests is to close your bail by hand after casting. DO NOT engage it with the handle.

The second most important thing is to not reel in completely loose line. Always try and keep the line decently if not fully taut. If you encounter a time where there is a bunch of loose line that need to be reeled in hold the line taut with one hand right as it’s going into the reel before you reach the point where you have eliminated most of the loose line.

Those two things will eliminate most issues.
THIS. It drives me crazy when my buddies can’t close the reel by hand. Also, triple surgeons as the braid is very slippery. And I do go flouro.

Everybody has there favorite line, and to each his own. I went with Tim Bagley years ago, and I had allways used 30 lb power pro strait braid, no leader. And he was using 12 lb flouro. He was catching 2 to my 1. My next trip I had 12 lb flouro on my baitcast reel's, and never looked back. I spool up once a year, whether it needs it or not. Only use braid to troll umbrella rigs now 65 lb. I have bought the expensive flouro's $30 and $40 a spool, but went back to Berkley vanish, because it was just as good or better. I have caught hundred's of these fat healthy Striper since last Oct, and fish trout 100+ days a year, with the same reels and line. flouro holds up well for me. Some mono's I use to use, would kink up bad after several trips of jigging.

Everybody has there favorite line, and to each his own. I went with Tim Bagley years ago, and I had allways used 30 lb power pro strait braid, no leader. And he was using 12 lb flouro. He was catching 2 to my 1. My next trip I had 12 lb flouro on my baitcast reel's, and never looked back. I spool up once a year, whether it needs it or not. Only use braid to troll umbrella rigs now 65 lb. I have bought the expensive flouro's $30 and $40 a spool, but went back to Berkley vanish, because it was just as good or better. I have caught hundred's of these fat healthy Striper since last Oct, and fish trout 100+ days a year, with the same reels and line. flouro holds up well for me. Some mono's I use to use, would kink up bad after several trips of jigging.
So true Kevin, so many options. And your use for the rod can also dictate what you use. When I was looking for distance at all cost for Striper boils my best performer was a mojo bass with nanobraid. It will throw a jumping minnow incredibly far. But that was just for distance. Specific uses may change your set up.

TR

So true Kevin, so many options. And your use for the rod can also dictate what you use. When I was looking for distance at all cost for Striper boils my best performer was a mojo bass with nanobraid. It will throw a jumping minnow incredibly far. But that was just for distance. Specific uses may change your set up.

TR
Is that a spinning or baitcast reel? Some of my friends that use spinning reels, can cast a lot further then I can with my baitcaster. I don't like any lighter then 12 lb for Striper, but I'll use 8 lb some time for trout, when I throw a 1/ 16 oz with my baitcast. Its tough casting the light stuff with that b caster, but I don't use spinning. I have seen the Striper, when they wouldn't take a chovy on heavier line, but would hit it with 6 lb flouro, that I been usinh for Crappie.

Last edited:
Back