Two Idiots on the Escalante

The kayak is interesting.....on one level you could think it was inadvertently left by a houseboat......but if there was no houseboat......it gets spooky.

The Escalante has always been one of the more magical/mystical areas of our lake, and Everett's story so adds to that.

That said, I'm going with 'Inter-dimensional Portals' for $500, Alex.....er.....Scotty....

🖖

I am skeptical it would be that man's kayak, but nothing is impossible. That kayak was pretty far up. I walked up there, and the sand was hard to walk in and there were tons of thorny bushes tearing into my legs if I mis stepped. It would have been miserable for two people to carry a kayak that far up. It would have been very difficult to one person especially an older person. In 2022 I kayaked from Antelope Point Marina in Lake Powell into antelope canyon. The water level was so low that we had to carry down the kayaks some distance to get to the water. Carrying the kayaks back up on return was miserable and difficult and it was two of us. That kayak was much higher than we had to carry ours. To me it looks like that kayak was anchored when the water level was much higher and left in the elements. If he carried his kayak up that high up from the water, then why did he tie it off on a rock?
Looking at your pictures I can see as you mentioned it is “anchored” to that big boulder and had another boulder on the strap. So it was securely hooked up. Trying to guess water levels and how far up it was I’m thinking from water level data if left in water it would have had to have been in 2021 that was the last year that levels would have been high enough to anchor it there. @JFRCalifornia is the master water detective. If he is watching this maybe he can add his thoughts. Did it look like it could have been sitting for a year and a half or more like that? I may try to hike up
And look for it next trip if I get in the neighborhood!

Last edited:
Would be interesting to see if it’s still there and also what water level would have been to have been for it to be floating there?
I’m pretty confident that is the same kayak or coincidentally very similar??
Cal immediately when he saw the pic , texted me back and said that’s the kayak that old man was in?
Where did you get the picture?
We both wanted to take a picture of the guy when we saw him but he was gone so fast neither of us ever did? Maybe he tied it off when water was high and then came back
No way to ever know! Strange story for sure? Maybe I should try to find it someday ….

I would like to know also. It seemed it was there for some time when I saw it. Yes, it looked like it was sitting there for a long time.

If that was the man in that kayak, then you may have indeed seen a ghost. You saw him kayaking two weeks after we saw the kayak and it was up there. Water level was lower for a very long time from that point. That area looked like you could go in for a hike and maybe find something interesting. We didn't have the time. I wonder if he dragged it up from the water and then went for a long hike. However, unless he's a beast of a man or my kayaks weigh much more than his that is an impressive feat although doable. I am not a weak person. After a few shots of vodka I can rip a tree stump out of the ground......true story. With effort I might be able to drag up a kayak that far up, but I don't know why I would bother to do that. At best I have dragged kayaks a few feet from the edge of the water. Unless this man is living in the Lake Powell wilderness for some reason. Or perhaps he wanted to go on a several day or week long hike and wanted his kayak out of sight. But if he dragged it up that high, then why anchor it? It was anchored at two points and not just one.

Last edited:
I would like to know also. It seemed it was there for some time when I saw it. Yes, it looked like it was sitting there for a long time.

If that was the man in that kayak, then you may have indeed seen a ghost. You saw him kayaking two weeks after we saw the kayak and it was up there. Water level was lower for a very long time from that point. That area looked like you could go in for a hike and maybe find something interesting. We didn't have the time. I wonder if he dragged it up from the water and then went for a long hike. However, unless he's a beast of a man or my kayaks weigh much more than his that is an impressive feat although doable. I am not a weak person. After a few shots of vodka I can rip a tree stump out of the ground......true story. With effort I might be able to drag up a kayak that far up, but I don't know why I would bother to do that. At best I have dragged kayaks a few feet from the edge of the water. Unless this man is living in the Lake Powell wilderness for some reason. Or perhaps he wanted to go on a several day or week long hike and wanted his kayak out of sight. But if he dragged it up that high, then why anchor it? It was anchored at two points and not just one.
Maybe he came back after you saw it up there and drug it down to the water, before we saw him paddling in the lake 2 weeks after your picture. He could have left it there for all that time when the water was higher then had someone drop him off to get it ?? I’m not 100% sure but I think you can hike out to a dirt road from there? A mystery for sure, if it’s same kayak? The two of us feel that it is, it is a distinctive kayak. The timing and area line up?

Unrelated but somewhat similar thing.
In Alaska last year I met an old man in his 80’s who solo canoes to the same island near prince of wales every year, he has a stash of base camp items he returns to every year and climbs to the top with a pack full of gear, food and rifle. Far heavier than I would ever consider. After spending many days up the mountain hunting black tail deer, he then brings it and his deer down, less what he adds to his stash. Then loads his canoe that he stashes while up on the mountain. It’s an ocean (inside passages) paddle several miles to the launch point. He returns every year in the fall and repeats the trip. When I first saw him, my friend said we were going to swing by and check on this old guy he knew might be coming out that day. We see a pile of gear and old canoe leaning up against the trees. My friend tooted horn and hollered and the old man appeared from the forest a few minutes later. He offered him a ride since the seas were a bit rough, he refused at first, then accepted. He would not allow us to pick up one thing. He carried every item from the forest to the Rocky shoreline and the boat by himself including his canoe!! I pulled his pack and rifle in the boat and could not believe how heavy it was. It took him nearly an hour to move it from the trees to our boat. We took all his gear, stashed it in our boat and tied the canoe across the rear of the boat and hauled it and him back to the landing about 10 miles away. He had his truck parked there. He would not let us carry anything for him, he did it all. Spent some time with him later in the trip. He has had bypass surgery and more. He Lives in Idaho, returns every year and I think he figures one year he will not make it back down from his camp! He told me he has an SOS message preprogrammed that says “I’m done come get my stuff” ! By done he means done and gone!

Off track a bit, but an eccentric interesting man and it shows how people do crazy things!

Im
In pretty good shape and much younger than he, but I couldn’t and or wouldn’t do it.

I would love to figure out the story of the mysterious kayak!

Last edited:
Thanks,
I think he told me he had a you tube story about him or involving his adventures? Pretty interesting guy to say the least. Not sure what drives him on the quest. His wife fully supports it and knows he might not return someday?
I could check with my friend who lives up there and see if he knows how to find it!

Very cool you could check that. So you had footage of that area?
So that means it showed up there before 5/06/23 when Cbass saw it which means he must have drug it up there. The water level was low and coming up then. Could be the one we saw the old man in on the water 2 weeks later on 5/20/23
The mystery deepens
😝

Very cool thanks for posting!
I think that showed where the kayak was? Did you have more raw footage above where your boat was I think that’s where kayak appeared to be from Cbass’ pictures.

This is what I have

That pretty much shows the area. My destination was the large cave/alcove/amphitheater/whatever is the proper name that I went to and spent some time taking pictures. From there I headed back and spent some time in the rocky area to the left of the cave to try to get a picture of Gregory natural bridge from another angle and height. You can see that in the center is lighter color more dense grass like plants that is in my picture and then much greener less dense plants around the Kayak. You can see those areas in the drone footage. I don't think I would have made it by the largest boulders as it was steeper there. In my younger days I was half goat, but these days I am slowly turning half cow. I was seeking adventure, not death so I would have taken the easiest path to the cave. Then only moved high enough and left enough to get a good picture of Gregory. There is some sediment on the kayak from the sand, but the kayak is still white and covered with a long black carpet. It should have stuck out from the environment instead of blending. It also looked to be a large kayak likely over 10 feet and perhaps as long as 15-16 feet. It should be in the area of the footage you see around 4:30. Cave entrance can be seen at 3:17.

Last edited:
If memory serves, a few years ago JFR posted a story of a skeleton that was found in Davis Gulch in a small alcove/crevice that had a broken hip. The speculation was that Everett had fallen, managed to get himself into the alcove and died there. Not a fun way to go, alone and in terrible pain, but seems plausible as he probably wouldn't have been too far away from his burros.

:unsure:

Back