test.wayneswords.com

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home Wayne's Words Message Boards
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 123
TOPIC: Sad state of water affairs...
Sad state of water affairs... 1 Year, 1 Month ago  
Here in my neck of the woods, it's STILL really, really, REALLY dry! Grass that's not been watered turns to powder when you kick it!

We've had some quick squalls finally, but have been breaking heat records for almost 6 weeks now!

Our favorite lake (Paonia Reservoir) was open this year from the last weekend of June, until this past Sunday... so three weeks, for a lake that USED to ice off at full-pool, and be open from late April through early October, just 12-15 years ago! It has silted in a TON in that time, but lack of snowpack isn't helping any these last 5+ years! Last year, it was open 4 weeks, in 2011, it was open 4 weeks, because they drained it as fast as they could!

Our second favorite (closest) lake is Crawford Reservoir... it opened Mid-May... rumor has it, it will be closing this Sunday, at 5:00PM... it's empty too!

At the current draw-down rate of Ridgway Reservoir, it appears they'll close the ramp mid-August!

We've had our boats (our boat 2x, and newly acquired Tail Dragger 1x) on CO lakes only three times this entire season.

We're out of water up here!

broski
Fishing; the healthy alternative to working!
Admin
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Things change - no longer where I was, CO
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Sad state of water affairs... 1 Year, 1 Month ago  
No different here Bro , just hiked up hunter Creek tonight they have most of it running to Denver, Same way with the Roaring fork. I hate to think about what will happen if we have another bad winter .
4TA
going since 1979
graphgraph

Re:Sad state of water affairs... 1 Year, 1 Month ago  
You have Denver, we have Vegas. Gotta provide water for all those people that are paid to Vote.
NvNutcase
graphgraph

broski wrote:
Here in my neck of the woods, it's STILL really, really, REALLY dry! Grass that's not been watered turns to powder when you kick it!

We've had some quick squalls finally, but have been breaking heat records for almost 6 weeks now!

Our favorite lake (Paonia Reservoir) was open this year from the last weekend of June, until this past Sunday... so three weeks, for a lake that USED to ice off at full-pool, and be open from late April through early October, just 12-15 years ago! It has silted in a TON in that time, but lack of snowpack isn't helping any these last 5+ years! Last year, it was open 4 weeks, in 2011, it was open 4 weeks, because they drained it as fast as they could!

Our second favorite (closest) lake is Crawford Reservoir... it opened Mid-May... rumor has it, it will be closing this Sunday, at 5:00PM... it's empty too!

At the current draw-down rate of Ridgway Reservoir, it appears they'll close the ramp mid-August!

We've had our boats (our boat 2x, and newly acquired Tail Dragger 1x) on CO lakes only three times this entire season.

The good thing about Paonia Res. is that they killed the evil pike this year and stocked it with rainbow trout. Finally, a place in Colorado to catch stocked rainbow trout, yippee.
Roger Linnell
graphgraph

Roger Linnell wrote:
broski wrote:

The good thing about Paonia Res. is that they killed the evil pike this year and stocked it with rainbow trout. Finally, a place in Colorado to catch stocked rainbow trout, yippee.

Yeah, but sadly, like I said above...for only 3 weeks!!!! Shore fishing, or small hand launched boats, from here on out!....
broski
Admin
graphgraph

dated numbers but interesting and heavy reading.

wattsupwiththat.com/2010/01/31/lake-powe...or-western-snowfall/
parkcity2powell
graphgraph

broski wrote:
Roger Linnell wrote:
broski wrote:

Yeah, but sadly, like I said above...for only 3 weeks!!!! Shore fishing, or small hand launched boats, from here on out!....
Broski, that was sarcasm, our DOW has got to stop killing our game fish. They've killed two reservoirs this year and they recommend killing Elk Head. I'm betting Crawford is in their sights too.
Roger Linnell
graphgraph

Roger Linnell wrote:
broski wrote:
Roger Linnell wrote:
broski wrote:

Broski, that was sarcasm, our DOW has got to stop killing our game fish. They've killed two reservoirs this year and they recommend killing Elk Head. I'm betting Crawford is in their sights too.

My bad, I completely missed the sarcasm part... don't forget, they killed off Miramonte as well to rid it of the evil Small Mouth Bass... don't worry about Crawford, the pike in that lake will die a natural death due to lack of water in which to swim...
broski
Admin
graphgraph

Yup, I was including Miramonte with the 2. They shocked Ridgway a month ago to see what was in there for smallmouth, they claim they released the fish.
Roger Linnell
graphgraph

The reservoirs above Lake Powell are all over the place in water levels - for example Flaming Gorge is 77% ...

Waterbaby
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Admin
graph
Gender: Female Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ Birthday: 12/31
“It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.” —Voltaire

Miramonte is still fishable - they won't kill it till this fall. A friend went over a couple weeks ago - small boat = 55 smb, plenty of trout including a 16 lb'r !!!
scubatim
Black Canyon Divers
graphgraph

scubatim wrote:
Miramonte is still fishable - they won't kill it till this fall. A friend went over a couple weeks ago - small boat = 55 smb, plenty of trout including a 16 lb'r !!!

Why kill it at all... they have already said the reason they are going to kill it, is that the SMB "aren't sustainable in larger, sport type fish..."! Well, if there are 16# 'Bows in there still then they might be right, so let the little smallies be FOOD!

Jeez....
broski
Admin
graphgraph

. Can any one guess where this is? Clue it does go to powell
4TA
going since 1979
graphgraph

4TA
going since 1979
graphgraph

broski wrote:
scubatim wrote:

Why kill it at all... they have already said the reason they are going to kill it, is that the SMB "aren't sustainable in larger, sport type fish..."! Well, if there are 16# 'Bows in there still then they might be right, so let the little smallies be FOOD!

Jeez....
They just luv killin them warm water fish. If it aint a trout or sucker, it dies
Roger Linnell
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 123